Looking for a unique way to add some flair to your yard or garden? Then a solar fountain may be the thing you need.
This amazing fountain is powered by the sun, so you can forget about those pesky utility bills. Plus, it is very easy to set up and use. Just place it in a sunny spot and let the water flow, couldn’t be simpler right?
In this article, you will discover how a solar fountain works step by step, as well as the many benefits that come with owning one.
So, if you have been thinking about getting a solar fountain, then this is the article for you!
What Are Solar Fountains Made Of?
Before getting into how solar fountains work, let’s talk a look at the main components that make up this type of fountain.
- Solar Panel: The solar panel is the key component of the fountain. It is what collects energy from the sun and converts it into electrical energy to power the solar fountain.
- Battery: The battery stores the electrical energy that is generated by the solar panel. This way, the solar fountain can still operate even when there is no sun.
- Charge Controller: The charge controller regulates the flow of electricity between the solar panel and the battery. This ensures that the solar panel doesn’t overcharge the battery, which can damage it.
- Water Reservoir: The water reservoir is where the water for the fountain is stored. It is typically made from a durable plastic material and it can hold a fair amount of water.
- Water Pump: The pump is what circulates the water from the reservoir and up to the nozzle of the fountain.
- Nozzle: The nozzle is what creates the flowing water effect. Most solar fountains have adjustable nozzles so that you can control the height and pattern of the water.
How Does a Solar Fountain Work Step By Step?
Step 1: Solar Panel Converts Sunlight Into Electricity
The first step in understanding how a solar fountain works is to understand how the solar panel converts sunlight into electrical energy.
Most solar panels are made from a semiconducting material called Silicon.
Silicon is famous for having 4 electrons in its outer shell. These electrons are connected to the atom via something called covalent bonds.
If something broke those covalent bonds, the electrons would be free to move about. This is what happens when sunlight hits the solar panel.
The photons in sunlight have enough energy to break the covalent bonds, which frees up the electrons.
And electricity is nothing but the flow of electrons. We use wiring to harness that flow and direct it where we want it to go (our solar fountain).
Step 2: The Battery Stores Electricity for Use Later
Once the solar panel has converted sunlight into electrical energy, that energy needs to be stored somewhere.
And that’s the job of the battery.
The battery is what stores the electrical energy for use later. This is important because the sun doesn’t always shine.
And even when it does, there are often clouds that block out the sun. So, the battery ensures that the solar fountain can still operate even when there is no sun.
Most solar fountain batteries are made from lithium-ion or nickel-cadmium. These are both very reliable battery types that can store a fair amount of electrical energy.
To protect the battery from overcharging, some big solar fountains also have a charge controller.
The charge controller regulates the flow of electricity between the solar panel and the battery. This ensures that the solar panel doesn’t overcharge the battery (send more electricity than the battery can hold.)
Note: Some low-end solar fountains don’t have a battery. These types of solar fountains will only operate when the sun is out and there are no clouds blocking the sun.
This is fine if you live in an area with very little cloud cover. But if you live in a place with a lot of clouds, you’ll want to get a solar fountain with a battery.
Step 3: Water Pump Circulates Water From the Reservoir
Most solar water pumps are submersible, meaning they can be placed directly into the water reservoir.
To get the water flowing, we need something to circulate the water from the reservoir and up to the nozzle of the fountain.
And that’s the job of the water pump.
The water pump is made of several parts, but the two main ones are the impeller and the motor.
The impeller is a small device with vanes (blades) that spin. As the impeller spins, it draws water in from the reservoir and pushes it towards the nozzle (works against gravity).
The motor is what powers the impeller and makes it a spin. Most solar water pumps use a DC (direct current) motor.
This type of motor is ideal for solar fountains because solar panels output DC current and batteries store DC current.
So, there’s no need to convert AC (alternating current) to DC, which would add unnecessary complexity and cost to the solar fountain.
Step 4: Water Flows Out of the Nozzle and Creates the Fountain Effect
Now that we have a solar panel to convert sunlight into electricity, a battery to store electrical energy, and a water pump to circulate water from the reservoir… it’s time to make some water flow out of the nozzle and create a fountain!
Most nozzles are made from brass or stainless steel and have a small hole in the center.
As water is pushed through the nozzle by the impeller, it comes out of this hole and is forced into the air.
This is what creates the fountain effect.
The height of the fountain will depend on the size of the nozzle, the water pressure, and the speed of the impeller.
Some solar fountains also have lights that illuminate the water as it flows out of the nozzle. This creates a beautiful nighttime effect that is sure to impress your friends and neighbors.
What Are the Advantages of Solar Fountains?
Now that you know how solar fountains work, let’s take a look at some of the advantages of using one.
- Solar fountains are a great way to add beauty and style to your yard or garden without using any electricity from the grid. And since they don’t use any electricity, they’re also very eco-friendly and can help you save money on your energy bills.
- Solar fountains are very easy to set up and maintain. There is no complex electrical wiring or plumbing required. All you need to do is place the solar panel in a sunny spot, fill the reservoir with water, and let the solar fountain do its job.
- Solar fountains are very versatile and come in a wide range of styles and sizes. From small tabletop fountains to large outdoor fountains, there’s sure to be a solar fountain that’s perfect for your needs.
- Solar fountains are very durable and can last for many years with proper care and maintenance.
What Are the Disadvantages of Solar Fountains?
Although solar fountains have many advantages, there are also a few disadvantages that you should be aware of.
- Solar fountains depend on sunlight. If you live in an area with a lot of clouds, your solar fountain may not work as well as you’d like.
- Solar fountains can be quite more expensive than electrical fountains. Although the initial cost may be higher than a traditional electric fountain, you’ll save money in the long run because you won’t have any electricity bills.
- Solar fountains require some basic maintenance, such as cleaning the pump and filter regularly. If you don’t keep up with the maintenance, your solar fountain may not work as well as it should.
How Is a Solar Fountain Charged?
A solar fountain is charged by the sun. The solar panel collects energy from the sun and converts it into electrical power. Then, the fountain uses this power to run the water pump.
Do Solar Fountains Work at Night?
Solar fountains will not work at night unless they have a built-in battery. The battery will store energy from the sun during the day and then release it at night to power the fountain.
How Much Time Does It Take to Charge a Solar Fountain?
It takes about 8 hours to charge your solar fountain. You should put your fountain in direct sunlight to work properly. The solar panel needs to be in direct sunlight for the solar fountain to work properly.
How Long Does a Solar Fountain Last?
A solar fountain will last for approximately 3 years as long as you’re providing it with the proper care and maintenance.
Now that you know how solar fountains work, you can tell why they make a great addition to any home.
They are easy to use, eco-friendly, as well as add a touch of elegance to any setting. So, go ahead and add one of these great products to your home today!
Thanks for reading!
We hope you enjoyed this article. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to reach out to us.