How Do Solar Cookers Work?
If you’re considering how to cook your food without using electricity, then a solar oven might be the perfect option.
Solar ovens are becoming more popular because they can provide an alternative for people who live in areas with unreliable power sources or who want to reduce their carbon footprint.
But how do these devices work?
This article will cover how solar ovens work and how they compare to traditional cooking methods.
What Are The Main Parts Of Solar Ovens?
There are three main parts to how do solar ovens work. These include:
- The collector, which is the dark-colored interior surface that job is to absorb as much sunlight as possible to heat your food
- The reflectors, which focus the sun’s rays on a specific spot inside the box to increase the temperature and cook your food faster
- The transparent lid, which prevents sunlight from escaping and allows light in for cooking or reheating food. The food contained within.
How Do Solar Ovens Work?
Here is the working concept of solar ovens:
The oven’s outer part (the reflector) reflects sunlight into the box.
When the sun’s rays enter the box, they are absorbed by the black surface inside.
Because black or dark colors, in general, are really good at absorbing sunlight and transferring it into heat, the sun rays will slowly heat up your food instead of just passing straight through it.
And as you get a lot of sunlight, the heat inside the box will then be high enough to cook your food.
The transparent lid’s main job is to contain your food and prevent heat from escaping, so you can cook your food faster.
What Are The Different Types Of Solar Ovens
A parabolic solar oven consists of mirrors that focus sunlight on one focal point.
The heat can be so intense, it reaches temperatures up to 500°C/930°F! This type is mainly created by scientists and large-scale producers.
A tube solar cooker is a simple way to harness sunlight, because it’s made from basic materials like cardboard, aluminum foil, and glass lenses.
It consists of an insulated box with a transparent lid that lets light in but not out.
It also has a reflector that helps to focus the solar radiation on an absorber which is normally right at the center of the box.
The sun’s rays are focused on your food, heating up whatever you choose to cook or boil inside.
A Box solar cooker is almost the same as a tube solar cooker.
It has an insulated box with a transparent lid, but this time it uses reflectors at its back to capture more sunlight and focus on one point (the absorber).
The advantage of using these reflectors is that you can use this cooker even if it’s windy outside because the reflectors will make sure that most of the sunlight is focused on your food.
How to Use a Solar Oven?
Here is how to cook food with a solar oven:
- First, you need to make sure that the food is in a pot.
- Then, place the pot inside your solar oven and close it shut.
- By now, sunlight will be entering through the glass of your oven which will reflect light towards the stovetop where your cooking pan or dish lays.
- And that’s it, your food is now being cooked
Do Solar Ovens Work Well?
Solar cookers do a really good job when it comes to cooking and boiling food, but they do take a little while longer than how conventional ovens work.
However, the good thing about solar cookers is that you can use them even when there is no electricity or gas because their heating mechanism doesn’t rely on electricity or gas like how conventional ovens are powered up.
Also, if you are living in regions where the weather is sunny, then solar ovens will be perfect for your needs.
Advantages Of Solar Ovens
Solar ovens have many advantages over cooking on the stove or in the oven.
These are just some of them:
- They’re easy to use and you can cook almost anything with them – even bake bread!
- You don’t have to worry about your electricity bill because there is no energy needed at all when using these solar ovens.
- Reduce your carbon footprint as you don’t use any fossil fuel, just the clean energy of the sun
- Great for camping and fishing trips
- Safe and easy to use
- Easy to clean and carry around
- You can easily make a solar stove yourself with household items
Related article: How to Make A Solar Cooker DIY
Disadvantages Of Solar Ovens
While solar ovens are safe and easy to use, they do have some downsides:
- You can only cook when the sun is shining – so cooking at night or in bad weather isn’t possible.
- They’re not very fast to heat up food, it could take around 30 minutes to cook a meal.
- You need to wait for the sun to be at its highest point in the sky, meaning that it’s only good for cooking food during certain hours of the day!
Are Solar Cookers Worth It?
The short answer is yes, solar ovens are definitely worth it.
They will save you money on your electric or gas bill and the more sunlight they get, the faster they cook!
They might not be as fast as an electric stove, but they’re still much faster than cooking with a charcoal grill or over an open fire.
As we mentioned earlier, solar ovens are great for many reasons.
They don’t require any fuel to run and once you get them they can be used multiple times (unlike cooking on a stove).
In the end, we really hope you enjoyed this article as much as we did.
Do you have any questions about solar ovens and how do they work?
If so, please share your thoughts with us in the comments section below.